If your Atlanta periodontist has told you that you have gum disease and will require dental surgery, you should know the difference between LANAP® dental surgery and traditional surgery. The biggest difference is that LANAP® does not require the use of a scalpel. Traditional dental surgery reduces the depth of your periodontal pockets by cutting away tissue. This often leads to bone or gum grafting as a way of reattaching the gums to the surface of the tooth. This is why a large majority of patients prefer LANAP® over traditional dental surgery. With LANAP®, your periodontists at Solid City Smiles does not cut away and tissue. Instead, a laser is used to remove bacteria from the pockets without harming the healthy tissue.
These are some of the key differences between LANAP® and traditional dental surgery:
- Less Pain – Regular dental surgery can cause a lot of pain and discomfort. LANAP® is much less painful. In fact, patients very rarely require pain medication afterward.
- Less Recession – Because traditional dental surgery requires that so much tissue be removed, there is no getting around gum recession. It is not uncommon for the gum line to be lowered as much as 10mm. LANAP®, however, is much less invasive and preserves the healthy tissue. The result is much less recession. This is important because gum recession can cause a number of cosmetic and health issues.
- Shorter Healing Period – Because LANAP® is able to preserve healthy tissue, there is a shorter healing period.
- Less Downtime – Unlike with regular dental surgery, LANAP® patients do not require post-operative pain medication. This means that you can get on with your daily routine as soon as you leave the office!
- More predictable, long term results – While both LANAP® and traditional dental surgery provide effective results, LANAP® is far more predictable in the long term. With the laser, your Atlanta periodontist is able to stimulate the bone that surrounds the tooth and encourage regeneration. This allows us to save teeth that otherwise would have been lost.
Drs. Gregg Codelli and Sadja Gaud are Atlanta periodontists at Solid City Smiles and are committed to offering the best and most advanced treatment to their patients. Although most patients are qualified for LANAP®, not all are. To find out if you are a candidate for LANAP® dental surgery in Atlanta, GA, contact us today.