Atlanta periodontist, Dr. Gregg Codelli has seen many patients make the switch from dentures to dental implants. The result is almost always positive. Dental implants provide many advantages over dentures. They are a more natural solution that gives patients more confidence and greater comfort. Dentures often slip around in the wearer’s mouth and make embarrassing sounds when eating or talking. Dental implants, however, do not. They both feel and function like natural teeth. Patients who switch from dentures to implants often report an improvement in their quality of life.
These are some of the main advantages to choosing dental implants:
- The material – Dentures are made from plastic or acrylic, both of which are foreign materials in the body. The result is often irritation to the gum tissue. Dental implants, however, are made from titanium, which is a naturally compatible material. Over time, titanium will begin to fuse with the bone and the two become inseparable.
- Stability – Dentures simply rest on top of the gums and often slip around in the wearer’s mouth. This makes activities such as eating and speaking a challenge. Dental implants are fused with the jawbone, eliminating the risk of slippage.
- Replace any number of teeth – Dentures can only be used to replace multiple missing teeth. In this sense, implants are more versatile than dentures because they can replace any number of teeth - even one.
- Longevity – Dentures need to be replaced approximately every five to seven years. With proper care, dental implants can last an entire lifetime. This also makes them a more cost effective method of tooth replacement.
- Preservation of bone and soft tissue – Over time, dentures cause the gums and jawbone to deteriorate. Dental implants, however, stimulate growth in these areas and help to preserve the facial structure.
If you would like to know more about the benefits of dental implants, you can contact Atlanta periodontist Dr. Gregg Codelli today and schedule a consultation.